Veterinary Blog

5 Household Items Toxic to Pets: Protect Your Furry Friend During Pet Poison Prevention Month!


At Vedder Mountain Veterinary Clinic, we see our fair share of pet emergencies. One of the most common — and preventable — issues is pet poisoning from household items. This Pet Poison Prevention Month, let’s talk about five common culprits that can pose a serious threat to your furry companion.


1. Houseplants

While they may liven up your home, many common houseplants are deadly to pets. Lilies, for instance, are highly poisonous to cats, and ingesting just a few grains of pollen can cause kidney failure. And dieffenbachia and philodendrons contain irritating toxins that can cause mouth and stomach pain if ingested by any pet. Plant lovers need not despair, though. There are lots of safe alternatives! Just be sure to research pet-safe plants before heading to the greenhouse.


2. Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medications

This one might seem obvious, but ingesting human medications can be deadly for pets. Over-the-counter pain relievers like ibuprofen and acetaminophen can cause liver and kidney damage. And many prescription medications meant for you can be harmful if eaten by your pet. Even herbs and supplements can make your furry friend sick. Keep all medicines securely stored and out of reach.


3. Cleaning Products

The harsh chemicals in many cleaning products are poisonous if ingested or absorbed through the skin. Bleach, disinfectants, and laundry detergents can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and respiratory problems. Store these products in locked cabinets and always clean up spills thoroughly.


4. Hand Sanitizer and Wipes

These convenient germ fighters often contain alcohol, which can be toxic to pets if ingested in large quantities. The bitter additives in some hand sanitizers can also cause stomach upset. Keep these products out of reach, and opt for pet-safe alternatives when cleaning up after your furry friend.


5. Food Scraps

While it may seem like a harmless treat, many human foods are dangerous for pets. Grapes, raisins and onions can cause serious health problems in dogs. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is toxic to both cats and dogs. Even fat trimmings can make your pet sick, so don’t give in to their begging! When preparing meals, be mindful of these hidden dangers and dispose of food scraps securely.


Closing Thoughts

Remember: An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. By pet-proofing your home and being aware of potential hazards, you can help keep your furry friend safe and healthy all year round. If you ever have any reason to suspect that your pet may have ingested or been exposed to something toxic or poisonous, seek veterinary care immediately. If your dog or cat needs emergency or urgent care in Chilliwack during our regular hours, please reach out to us right away. The team here at Vedder Mountain Veterinary Clinic is here to help.



Protect Your Pet During Heartworm Awareness Month:...
Pet Dental Care in Chilliwack: Keeping Your Pet's ...

Need An Appointment?

Request an appointment using our online form.